Shorunmu Narrates How Ex-3SC Defender, Ajibade, Died At UCH Gate

By Ibrahim Agunbiade

 Former Super Eagles goalkeeper Ike Shorunmu has narrated how Ex-3SC defender, Ajibade Babajide died at the gate of the University College Hospital after a private hospital in Ibadan declined treating him.

We had earlier reported that Babalade, 48 , died while being rushed to the University College Hospital, Ibadan on Friday.

According to Shorunmu , Babalade’ s teammate at the 1992 Africa Cup of Nations in Senegal , the former footballer died at the gate of UCH after suffering cardiac arrest.

He stated that the former Shooting Stars Team Manager was denied treatment by the first hospital he was taken to , before he was referred to UCH.

“ The first hospital he was rushed to in Ibadan , he was rejected by the doctors and referred to the University College Hospital . But on his arrival at the UCH premises, he gave up the ghost at the gate . May his soul rest in peace , ” Shorumu said in an interview with PUNCH

He also stated that he was informed of Babalade’ s death in the afternoon , after attending Jumat service.

“ I went to the mosque for Jumat service this (Friday ) afternoon , so I switched off my phone. Immediately I put it back on , I got a message from Ajibade ’ s in – law that I needed to be at his place. So , I went with my wife , but on our arrival , the (Babalade ’ s ) family broke the news to me.

“ I’m very sad as we speak now . This is someone whom I spoke with two days ago (on Wednesday ), when he celebrated his son ’ s birthday .

“ I was told he had cardiac arrest in the ( Friday) morning . I had to console his wife and kids , who are based in America , over the demise of their father . He died at the UCH gate,”he added

Comments